Skip to main content

REN certification application filing process: Frequently asked questions

Q: Where is the best place to start for detailed directions on completing the filing process for a renewable energy facility certification application?

A: The “filing instructions” document, which will answer most of your process questions, is available at Renewable energy resource generating facility application for certification

Q: Will my application, and all of its contents, be made public?

A:  Yes. Trade secret information may be subject to confidential treatment if it is filed under seal and accompanied with a motion for protective order pursuant to Rule 4901-1-24 of the Ohio Administrative Code. Final determination about confidential treatment of such information would be determined by the Commission.

Q: The application form asks for a case number. Do I need a case number to start the application process? What is a case number, and how do I get one?

A: Yes, you will need a case number before you can begin to fill out the online application. The case number is an identifier unique to your application. It should look like “14-1234-EL-REN,” as an example. The process for reserving a case number is described on page one of the filing instructions.

Q: What steps do I need to complete before I can reserve a case number?

A: You will need to establish an e-filing account with the PUCO’s Docketing Division. Once this account is established, you will have the “username” and “password” that you will need to proceed.  The process for setting up your PUCO account is described on page one of the filing instructions.

If you have any questions about your e-filing account, please contact the PUCO’s Docketing Division at (614) 466-4095 or

Q:  When working on my application, I am having difficulty uploading the required photos and/or affidavit. Any suggestions?

A:  Check to make sure that you have allowed pop-ups on your computer browser, as that may fix the problem. Also, if you are using Google Chrome as your browser, try switching to Internet Explorer.

Q: I’ve created the application PDF. Am I done?

A: No, but you’re getting close. You still need to e-file your PDF in the case number that you reserved earlier. Please see next question.

Q: How do I e-file my application PDF?

A:  The e-filing process is detailed on page 10 of the filing instructions.

Q: I want to confirm that my application has been filed. How can I do this?

A: Go to the Commission’s DIS webpage using the link below and insert your individual case number (i.e., 14-1234-EL-REN) in the “case lookup” box in the upper right-hand portion of the page. You can review all the documents filed in your case by clicking on “date filed” and “view document.” If your application does not appear within a day of you filing it, please contact PUCO staff to confirm that your application was received. 

Q: How do I contact PUCO staff that is familiar with the certification process?

A: Send an email to the team at, and we will get back with you as soon as possible.

Q: I reserved a case number in 2013, but when I went to file my application in 2014, I was informed that the case status is “void.” What do I need to do to move forward?

A: If you are filing in 2014, you will need to reserve a new case number beginning with “14.” In addition, you will need to revise your application so that it includes this new case number. If you have any difficulty revising your application, please contact us at Your application may be locked, but we can unlock it to allow you to revise your application so that it includes the new case number.

Q: I’m concerned my computer file may be too large. Does your system have a size limit for a certificate application?

A: Yes. If your application PDF exceeds 10 MB, you will not be able to e-file it. You will need to resize the entire application or the photos in the application so that they satisfy the 10 MB limit. If you are unsure how to resize your application, please contact us at