Motor Carrier Registration
The first step in the registration process is determining which application your company needs to complete.
The situations described below will help you file the correct application. Once you determine which application applies to your operation, proceed to the appropriate registration section below for specific filing instructions. Please note that you may be required to file more than one application with the PUCO.
You must file a For-Hire Intrastate application if you transport from one point in Ohio to another point in Ohio and ANY of these situations are true:
- You transports passengers, property or household goods owned by others for compensation.
- You transport your own cargo, but sometimes transport someone else’s property for compensation.
- You receive payment for the transportation either directly from the customer or by a third party such as Medicare.
You DO NOT have to file a For-Hire Intrastate application if you transport your own cargo, usually as a part of your business that produces, uses, sells and/or buys the cargo that is being hauled.
Unified Carrier Registration
You must file a Unified Carrier Registration application if you operate in interstate commerce and your operation type is classified as one or more of the following:
- Motor carrier of property, both for-hire and private, whether or not you are an exempt carrier for purposes of federal regulation
- For-hire passenger motor carrier regardless of vehicle size
- Freight forwarder
- Leasing company that leases vehicles without drivers to interstate motor carriers or freight forwarders
You DO NOT have to file a Unified Carrier Registration application if ALL of these situations are true:
- You do not operate in interstate commerce
- Your vehicles never leave the state
- You will not drive any vehicles into, through or out of Ohio
- Your USDOT number is designated as INTRASTATE ONLY
PUCO Registration Programs
Motor carriers can register their for-hire intrastate operations online. To receive instructions, please submit the following information to MCRegistration@puc.state.oh.us and use “Intrastate PIN Registration” as the subject of your email. We will reply with a PIN letter that contains instructions on how to file your application through OMCIS (Ohio Motor Carrier Information System).
- Registration year(s) desired
- USDOT number
- Name, phone number and email address of the person who will be the administrator for this account
- Physical and mailing address of the motor carrier
If you are unable to file your registration online, please contact the Motor Carrier Registration Team at 614-466-3392 option 2.
New National Registration System
The Unified Carrier Registration Plan (UCR) launched its new national registration system in September 2018. The Public Utilities Commission of Ohio (PUCO) has decided to adopt this system as Ohio’s official portal for filing annual UCR registrations. Ohio based interstate motor carriers subject to UCR registration requirements will be required to use www.UCR.gov to file their annual UCR application.
Register Now For UCR 2019
In order to lawfully operate, you must complete your 2019 UCR registration online at www.UCR.gov no later than March 31, 2019. Beginning April 1, 2019, enforcement action may be taken against any carrier or other entity subject to the UCR requirements that has not properly registered.
Alliance for Uniform HazMat Transportation Procedures
Ohio legislation eliminated the requirement to register under the Alliance for Uniform HazMat Transportation Procedures in order to transport hazardous materials in the state of Ohio. There are no additional PUCO registration requirements to transport hazardous materials.
Transportation Network Companies (TNC)
TNC applicants must complete and submit the following form for initial applications, annual renewals and amended registrations.