Motor carrier registration forms
The PUCO serves the following roles related to motor carrier registration:
- Approves the registration of for-hire motor carriers operating within Ohio (intrastate);
- Registers hazardous materials and hazardous waste transporters;
- Maintains compliance records on the registered carriers; i.e. insurance filings, resident agent records and annual renewal records;
- Monitors insurance filings for cancellations and suspends carriers who do not have active insurance on file;
- Reinstates carriers when insurance is received;
- Cites carriers for failure to get insurance reinstated in defined time;
- Cites carriers for failure to pay annual PUCO tax fee; and
- Revokes the authority of carriers who have been cited for failure to meet compliance requirements within the designated time.
You may file your applications online by submitting the following information to MCRegistration@puc.state.oh.us and use “PIN Registration” as the subject of your email. We will reply with a PIN letter that you can use to file your application through OMCIS (Ohio Motor Carrier Information System).
- Type of registration you wish to complete (Intrastate or UCR) and the registration year(s) desired
- USDOT number
- Name, phone number and email address of the person who will be the administrator for this account
- Physical and mailing address of the motor carrier
If you are unable to file your registration online, please use the links below to download the appropriate application for your motor carrier operations.
Important: Do not submit a paper application if you choose to file online.
Unified Carrier Registration
An annual registration is required by all private carriers, for-hire carriers, brokers, leasing companies and freight forwarders registered with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and have
an interstate USDOT or MC number.
In order to legally operate, you must file a an application for each year your USDOT is active.
- 2018 application and instructions
- 2017 application and instructions
When do I need to use the UCR-1 form?
If you subtracted vehicles used exclusively for intrastate transportation when you registered for UCR, you must maintain a list of the vehicles you subtracted. You must also provide this information to the PUCO on this form upon request. In order to subtract a commercial motor vehicle under this option, during the UCR registration year
3) the vehicle was not or will not be registered under the International Registration Plan (IRP) (vehicle must not have an apportioned plate).
2) the vehicle did not or will not carry property, waste or recyclable material that originated outside the state or is destined for a location outside the state; and
1) the vehicle did not or will not travel outside the state;
When do I need to use the UCR-2 form?
If you obtained the vehicle count for the numbers you entered in section 4 of the UCR registration form from the number of vehicles you owned and operated for the previous 12-month period ending June 30th (option B), and your fleet count using this method places you in a bracket with a lower fee than if you had selected option A on the UCR registration form, you must maintain a list of vehicles covered by your UCR registration and provide this information on form UCR-2 to the PUCO upon request.
Intrastate registration (property, passengers, and household goods carriers)
New registrants: Operations may not begin until a Form E is filed with the commission by your insurance company. A Form E and Form H is required for household goods movers.
Alliance for Uniform HazMat Transportation Procedures
Recent Ohio legislation eliminates the requirement to register under the Alliance for Uniform HazMat Transportation Procedures in order to transport hazardous materials in the state of Ohio. As of July 1, 2017, the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio will no longer be processing new registrants under the Alliance HM program. Contact information for the remaining four Alliance member states can be found here.