PUCO reminds you to call 8-1-1 before you dig
Follow these five steps before breaking ground
COLUMBUS, OHIO (Aug. 9, 2018) – With 8-1-1 day (Aug. 11) right around the corner, the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio (PUCO) reminds Ohioans to practice safe digging procedures. Follow these five steps before beginning any digging project. It’s the law!
- Call 8-1-1 at least 48 hours, but not more than 10 days, before you plan to dig. OHIO811 will notify the utility operators in your area that you are planning to dig.
- Wait 48 hours before beginning your project. This gives utility operators a chance to mark any underground lines.
- Confirm that all lines in the area have been marked. In addition to seeing flags or paint marking the lines, most companies will use OHIO811 Positive Response, which allows line or facility owners to communicate the status of their one call ticket to the excavator. You can check the status on your own by calling (800) 445-3894.
- Respect the markings. For your safety and those around you, steer clear of marked lines. Each utility type uses different colored flags or paint to mark their lines. To find out what kind of lines are marked in your yard, visit the color code guide on the OHIO811 website.
- Dig carefully. Hitting an underground utility line while digging can cause damage to the environment and even injury or death.
If you hit a line, leave the area immediately to protect yourself and crew. If a substance starts releasing into the air, call 9-1-1. For any damaged underground facility, contact the utility company listed on the nearest marker.
Together with the Oil & Gas Producers Underground Protection Service (OGPUPS) and OHIO811, the PUCO reminds you to take the careful steps to ensure your safety before beginning any digging project.
The Public Utilities Commission of Ohio (PUCO) is the sole agency charged with regulating public utility service. The role of the PUCO is to assure all residential, business and industrial consumers have access to adequate, safe and reliable utility services at fair prices while facilitating an environment that provides competitive choices. Consumers with utility-related questions or concerns can call the PUCO Call Center at (800) 686-PUCO (7826) and speak with a representative.
Subscribe and unsubscribe to the PUCO Media Release email service