For Immediate Release
Contact:  Matt Schilling
(614) 466 7750

PUCO approves the upgrade of rail crossings in Marion County

 

COLUMBUS, OHIO (April 4, 2018) – The Public Utilities Commission of Ohio (PUCO) today authorized CSX Transportation to upgrade safety devices at eight rail crossings in the city of Marion, Marion County.

CSX will install new flashing lights and roadway gates at the following crossings:

  • Main Street/State Route 4 (two crossings)
  • North State Street (two crossings)
  • Oak Street (two crossings)
  • Prospect Street North
  • Prospect Street South

CSX is directed to complete the projects by April 4, 2019. Federal funding provided by the Ohio Rail Development Commission will account for 75 percent of the project costs, and CSX will provide the remaining 25 percent.

To increase public safety during the construction of the projects, local governments may seek funding from the PUCO for the cost of safety improvements such as rumble strips, illumination, improved signage or other enhancements at the project locations. Funding for such improvements comes from the State Grade Crossing Safety Fund and may not exceed $5,000 per project.

The PUCO is responsible for evaluating Ohio’s public grade crossings to determine the need for installing active warning devices. Since the PUCO began implementing these evaluations, the annual number of train-motor vehicle crashes in Ohio has decreased significantly, from 356 in 1990 to 68 in 2017.

Rail Hotline, at (866) 814-RAIL (7245), provides Ohioans with a toll-free resource for all railroad crossing questions. For more information regarding these crossings, access the Ohio railroad information system website at http://gradecrossings.puco.ohio.gov/.

- 30-

18-292-RR-FED

The Public Utilities Commission of Ohio (PUCO) is the sole agency charged with regulating public utility service. The role of the PUCO is to assure all residential, business and industrial consumers have access to adequate, safe and reliable utility services at fair prices while facilitating an environment that provides competitive choices. Consumers with utility-related questions or concerns can call the PUCO Call Center at (800) 686-PUCO (7826) and speak with a representative.

Subscribe and unsubscribe to the PUCO Media Release email service