For Immediate Release
Contact:  Matt Schilling
(614) 466 7750

PUCO approves the upgrade of 7 rail crossings in Ross County

COLUMBUS, OHIO (Jan. 9, 2018) – The Public Utilities Commission of Ohio (PUCO) today authorized Norfolk Southern (NS)  to upgrade active warning devices at seven rail crossings in Ross County.

NS will upgrade active warning devices with LED lighting and controls at the following crossings:

  • Higby Road
  • Toad Hollow Road
  • Southern Avenue
  • Eastern Avenue
  • E. Second Street
  • E. Water Street
  • Delano Road

NS is directed to complete the projects by Jan. 9, 2020. Federal funding provided by the Ohio Rail Development Commission will account for 75 percent of the project costs, and NS will provide the remaining 25 percent.

To increase public safety during the construction of the projects, local governments may seek funding from the PUCO for the cost of safety improvements such as rumble strips, illumination, improved signage or other enhancements at the project locations. Funding for such improvements comes from the State Grade Crossing Safety Fund and may not exceed $5,000 per project.

The PUCO is responsible for evaluating Ohio’s public grade crossings to determine the need for installing active warning devices. Since the PUCO began implementing these evaluations, the annual number of train-motor vehicle crashes in Ohio has decreased significantly, from 356 in 1990 to 68 in 2017.

Rail Hotline, at (866) 814-RAIL (7245), provides Ohioans with a toll-free resource for all railroad crossing questions. For more information regarding these crossings, access the Ohio railroad information system website at http://gradecrossings.puco.ohio.gov/.

- 30-
18-1712-RR-FED

The Public Utilities Commission of Ohio (PUCO) is the sole agency charged with regulating public utility service. The role of the PUCO is to assure all residential, business and industrial consumers have access to adequate, safe and reliable utility services at fair prices while facilitating an environment that provides competitive choices. Consumers with utility-related questions or concerns can call the PUCO Call Center at (800) 686-PUCO (7826) and speak with a representative.

Subscribe and unsubscribe to the PUCO Media Release email service