Alliance of Uniform Hazmat Materials Transportation Procedures
Recent Ohio legislation eliminates the requirement to register under the Alliance for Uniform HazMat Transportation Procedures in order to transport hazardous materials in the state of Ohio. As of July 1, 2017, the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio will no longer be processing new registrants under the Alliance HM program.
Below are the remaining HM Alliance member states listed by the type of hazardous materials each of these states regulates under the HM Alliance program:
- Hazardous Waste Only
- All Hazardous Materials
(including Hazardous Waste)
- West Virginia
If you wish to transport regulated hazardous materials in any of the listed states, you must select a base state and file a HM Alliance application. Follow the steps below to apply for an Alliance HM permit:
- Determine your base state.
- If you will be transporting hazardous waste in Michigan or Oklahoma, calculate total miles traveled in each of the four states (Michigan, Oklahoma, Nevada and West Virginia) for the last twelve months. Your new base state is the state with the highest number of miles traveled.
- If you do not transport hazardous waste in Michigan or Oklahoma, but transport hazardous materials (including waste) in Nevada or West Virginia, calculate total miles traveled in Nevada and West Virginia for the last twelve months. Your new base state is the state with the highest number of miles traveled.
- Register online at https://www.hazmatalliance.org. Make sure you indicate your base state in the appropriate section of the online application.
- If you have any questions, please contact your base state from the list below.
Michigan Department of Environmental Quality
Oklahoma Corporation Commission
Nevada Highway Patrol
Public Service Commission of West Virginia