Motor carrier registration forms
The PUCO serves the following roles related to motor carrier registration:
- Approves the registration of for-hire motor carriers operating within Ohio (intrastate);
- Registers hazardous materials and hazardous waste transporters;
- Maintains compliance records on the registered carriers; i.e. insurance filings, resident agent records and annual renewal records;
- Monitors insurance filings for cancellations and suspends carriers who do not have active insurance on file;
- Reinstates carriers when insurance is received;
- Cites carriers for failure to get insurance reinstated in defined time;
- Cites carriers for failure to pay annual PUCO tax fee; and
- Revokes the authority of carriers who have been cited for failure to meet compliance requirements within the designated time.
Forms Unified Carrier Registration
Notice: 2018 UCR DELAYED (click to access notice from the UCR Board)
The Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) Board of Directors is delaying the start of the 2018 registration year until futher notice. The reason for the delay is to provide the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) adequate time to publish and receive comments on its proposed rulemaking for 2018 UCR fees, which includes a reduction for carriers at all levels.
2014 through 2017 application and instructions
(Annual registration form used by all private carriers, for-hire carriers, brokers, leasing companies and freight forwarders operating in interstate commerce.)
When do I need to use the UCR-1 form?
If you subtracted vehicles used exclusively for intrastate transportationwhen you registered for UCR, you must maintain a list of the vehicles you subtracted. You must also provide this information to the PUCO on this form upon request. In order to subtract a commercial motor vehicle under this option, during the UCR registration year
1) the vehicle did not or will not travel outside the state;
2) the vehicle did not or will not carry property, waste or recyclable material that originated outside the state or is destined for a location outside the state; and
3) the vehicle was not or will not be registered under the International Registration Plan (IRP) (vehicle must not have an apportioned plate).
When do I need to use the UCR-2 form?
If you obtained the vehicle count for the numbers you entered in section 4 of the UCR registration form from the number of vehicles you owned and operated for the previous 12-month period ending June 30th (option B), and your fleet count using this method places you in a bracket with a lower fee than if you had selected option A on the UCR registration form, you must maintain a list of vehicles covered by your UCR registration and provide this information on form UCR-2 to the PUCO upon request.
Intrastate registration (property, passengers, and household goods carriers)
New registrants: Operations may not begin until a Form E is filed with the commission by your insurance company. A Form E and Form H is required for household goods movers.
Alliance for Uniform HazMat Transportation Procedures
Recent Ohio legislation eliminates the requirement to register under the Alliance for Uniform HazMat Transportation Procedures in order to transport hazardous materials in the state of Ohio. As of July 1, 2017, the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio will no longer be processing new registrants under the Alliance HM program. Contact information for the remaining four Alliance member states can be found here.