For Immediate Release
Contact: Matt Schilling
614 | 466 7750
PUCO approves eight rail upgrades in Montgomery County
COLUMBUS, OHIO (Jan. 23, 2013) – The Public Utilities Commission of Ohio (PUCO) today approved construction authorization from the Ohio Rail Development Commission directing Norfolk Southern Railway to upgrade eight highway-rail grade crossings in the city of Miamisburg, Montgomery County.
The upgrades will be made as follows:
- Richard Street (524-649K) - flashing lights and roadway gates
- Kercher Street (524-650E) – flashing lights and roadway gates
- East Pearl Street (524-651L) – circuitry upgrade and modernization
- East Maple Street (524-653A) - circuitry upgrade and modernization
- Central Avenue/State Route 725 (524-654G) - circuitry upgrade and modernization
- Linden Avenue (524-657C) - circuitry upgrade and modernization
- Lock Street (524-658J) – flashing lights and roadway gates
- Mound Avenue (524-659R) - circuitry upgrade and modernization
The railroad will be responsible for completing construction of the upgrades by April 23, 2014. Funding for the projects will be provided by federal funds.
To increase public safety during the construction of the projects, the PUCO will assist the local governments with the cost of improvements such as rumble strips, illumination, improved signage or other safety enhancements at the project location. Funding for the improvements will come from the State Grade Crossing Safety Fund and will not exceed $5,000.
The PUCO is responsible for evaluating Ohio’s public grade crossings to determine the need for installing active warning devices. Over the past decade, the annual number of train-motor vehicle crashes in Ohio has decreased significantly, from 123 in 2001 to 64 in 2011.
The Ohio Rail Hotline, at (866) 814-RAIL (7245), provides Ohioans with a toll-free resource for all railroad crossing questions. For more information regarding these crossings, access the Ohio railroad information system website at http://gradecrossings.puco.ohio.gov/.
The Public Utilities Commission of Ohio (PUCO) is the sole agency charged with regulating public utility service. The role of the PUCO is to assure all residential, business, and industrial consumers have access to adequate, safe and reliable utility services at fair prices while facilitating an environment that provides competitive choices. Consumers with utility-related questions or concerns can call the PUCO Call Center at (800) 686-PUCO (7826) and speak with a representative.
Subscribe and unsubscribe to the PUCO Media Release email service