Ohio Biomass Energy Program
The Ohio Biomass Energy Program provides policy and program information, resource referrals and business connections to support the development and use of biomass energy resources in Ohio. If you have any questions or comments, please contact us:
To request an e-mail contact, please provide your e-mail address and click the "Contact Me" button:
Ohio's renewable energy portfolio standard
Ohio’s renewable energy portfolio standard requires that 12.5 percent of electricity sold by Ohio’s electric distribution utilities or electric services companies must be generated from renewable energy sources by 2027. Additionally, of the 12.5 percent, at least 0.5 percent must come from solar sources.
Combined heat and power in Ohio
In 2012, the PUCO conducted a series of combined heat and power (CHP) workshops as part of a pilot project in collaboration with the U.S. Department of Energy to help industrial boiler operators learn about options to meet changing environmental standards. Presentations included a focus on biomass projects:
- NREL Energy Analysis: Biogas Potential in the United States
- Great Lakes Region Food Industry Biogas Casebook 2011
- Assessing Ohio’s Biomass Resources for Energy Potential Using GIS
- Assessing Ohio’s Biomass Resources for Energy Potential Using GIS - By P. Wilner Jeanty, Dave Warren and Fred Hitzhusen, Department of Agricultural, Environmental and Development Economics, The Ohio State University; October 2004
- National Biomass Feedstock Feasibility Study, April 2005
- Biomass/Biowaste Fed Fuel Cells Report, October 2004.
- Demonstration of the Commercialization of WSP Biomass as a Biofuel Feedstock. 2003.
- Updated Agricultural Biogas Casebook - Great Lakes Regional Biomass Energy Program, September 2004.
- Agricultural Biogas Casebook - Great Lakes Regional Biomass Energy Program. September, 2002.
- The Prospect of Energy Crops in Ohio´s Competitive Power Market. October, 2000.
- Turning Manure into Gold: Converting Agricultural Waste to Energy. 2000. [Summary; Full text of the report]
- Directory of Wood Manufacturing Industry in Ohio. 1997. [Summary] [Part 1][Part 2]
- Utilization of Biomass Energy Resources in Ohio: A Linear Programming Model. 1996. [Summary] [full text]