Inspection Report Information & Instructions
Driver – Vehicle Inspection Report
INFORMATION AND INSTRUCTIONS TO DRIVER AND MOTOR CARRIER
The driver and vehicle listed on the accompanying inspection report form has been inspected by the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio (PUCO). The explanations below are provided to help the driver and the motor carrier understand and properly handle this inspection report.
Citation Number: A number in this column refers to a separate court citation (the citation will indicate the cited violation) which has been issued as the result of a corresponding violation. Citations are issued into the Municipal or County Court nearest the inspection site, and any follow-up action regarding the citation will be indicated on the citation form. All other safety violations and hazardous materials violations are handled by the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio (PUCO).
Violation Codes: Numbers in the 170, 180 or 300 series refer to sections of Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). Code numbers in the 300 series refer the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSR) while code numbers in the 170 or 180 series refer to the Federal Hazardous Materials Regulations (FHMR). Copies of these regulations may be obtained from trade associations and commercial supply firms or on the internet at www.fmcsa.dot.gov and http://hazmat.dot.gov/. Some violation code numbers on the inspection report may have suffixes not found in the CFR and are used for data collection purposes (for example 396.3A1BA). In addition, violation code numbers in a format such as 2-5-11 refer to rules of the PUCO contained in Chapter 4901 of the Ohio Administrative Code. Violation code numbers in a format such as 4919.78 or 4511.19 refer to sections found in the Ohio Revised Code.
Verify: Entries in this column indicate the status of the out-of-service vehicle at the completion of the inspection. “A” indicates the out-of-service violations were corrected during the inspection; “B” indicates the out-of-service vehicle was towed to a facility for repairs; “D” indicates some other action was taken; and “U” indicates that the out-of-service violations still existed at the completion of the inspection and it was “unknown” to the Inspector what actions were to be taken to make repairs.
Vehicles - If the vehicle involved in this inspection has been placed “out-of-service” it may not be operated until all out-of service violations/conditions have been corrected.
Drivers - If the driver involved in this inspection has been placed “out-of-service” he/she may not drive a commercial motor vehicle until all out-of-service violations/conditions have been remedied or corrected.
- The driver must deliver this inspection report to the motor carrier operating the vehicle within 24 hours. If the inspection report cannot be delivered to the motor carrier within 24 hours the driver must mail or fax the inspection report to the motor carrier.
- The driver must comply with all out-of-service requirements found on the inspection report.
- The driver must stop driving if his/her Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) has been suspended as required by the US DOT Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations.
Motor Carrier Responsibilities
- The motor carrier must comply with all out-of-service requirements found on the inspection report.
- The motor carrier must examine this inspection report and physically repair all the vehicle defects/violations indicated..
- The motor carrier must sign the Certificate of Repairs at the bottom of the inspection/examination report and return it to the address below within in 15 days following the inspection. This is required even if the driver or a mechanic made the repairs at the time of the inspection.
NOTE: Any intentional false statement on this inspection form or willful misrepresentation relative thereto may be a violation of Federal Law punishable by a fine not more $10,000 or imprisonment of not more than five years or both (18 U.S.C. 1001).
PUBLIC UTILITIES COMMISSION OF OHIO – TASD
180 E. BROAD ST.
COLUMBUS, OH 43215-3793
FAX (614) 752-9274
To request a copy of an inspection report, please send an email to CMVReports@puc.state.oh.us and include the inspection report number and date of inspection. If you do not have an inspection report number then include as much information as you can; such as driver's name, carrier's name, date or approximate date of inspection. You can also request an inspection report by mailing to the address or fax number above.