How the PUCO Works for You
The Public Utilities Commission of Ohio (PUCO) affects just about every household in Ohio. That's because the PUCO regulates providers of all kinds of utility services, including electric and natural gas companies, local and long distance telephone companies, water and wastewater companies, and rail and trucking companies. The PUCO was created to assure Ohioans adequate, safe, and reliable public utility services at a fair price. More recently, the PUCO gained responsibility for facilitating competitive utility choices for Ohio consumers.
5 Ways The PUCO Works for You:
- Protects you by monitoring and enforcing PUCO rules and state laws against unfair, inadequate and unsafe public utility and transportation services.
- Resolves your disputes either informally between you and the company or through our formal complaint process where only the PUCO can order relief and corrective action. The PUCO resolves disputes between utilities and residential, business, and industrial customers, as well as between competing utilities.
- Assures availability of adequate, safe and reliable services to all residential, business, and industrial consumers.
- Provides you with information about your rights and responsibilities as a utility customer and publishes the Apples to Apples cost comparisons for energy services where you have a choice. You can turn to the PUCO for answers to your questions and help with your utility and transportation problems.
- Regulates your rates for utility services where you do not have choices. Even with competition growing in the gas and electric industries, for example, the PUCO still sets the rates for delivery of those services since that part is still controlled by one company.